Friday, February 3, 2012

The Dinner Bell ~ Fueling My Tire Tube

Okay.....so forget about fueling Biker Man's six pack, or Scouts little four.....though Scout thinks that he (Biker Man) grew two more packs since I posted last.....so that would make it eight.  Wowza!  Anyway, let's talk about fueling my little.....or, maybe it's medium size, tire tube.  Well, maybe it's borderline medium~large.  Today, I think I hid it well.  Tomorrow it may feel extra large.  Right now, it is happy.  I ate my Fiber One, peanuts, banana and yogurt combo a few minutes ago.  I know.  I get distracted easily.....though I have never been diagnosed.  I am hopeful.

Anywho.....time to share another recipe, that I cannot take credit for.  I found it in an old magazine that I bought at a library sale a few years back.  Best nickel I ever spent, after finding this treasure of goodness!  It was in Light & Tasty (October/November 2007), and was submitted by Suzanne Dabkowski of Blythewood, South Carolina.  She found it in a men's magazine, which makes me think about Biker Man's six pack.....think, think, think.  Ok, so sorry.  Back on track.  Anyway,  Suzanne and I became best friends after I made this soup.....though I am sure she would think it strange if I went to her house, and asked if she had more recipes, that I cannot live without.  I am sure the police would be involved.  Suzanne.....you have changed my life forever and I am indebted to you!  Thank you ever so much for sharing.....

I went to a shin~dig with Biker Man yesterday, to meet some of the dear people that he works with. This soup tagged along, and apparently it was a big hit.....there was not much left, and all the ladies (and one guy) were asking for the recipe.  Guess they want to develop six packs in somebody.  This soup will help!  It's super duper tasty, healthy, and loaded with protein, fiber, vitamins and iron.  (It's EASY too!)  I doubled this recipe from the original.  Take creative liberties with it.....call it your own.  I am a huge "eyeballer" and my soups are one thing I don't get OCD over.  It will feed 12-ish irregardless of how many "packs" or lack of them you have.....like me.....I have a pack alright.  All you cook-and-freeze people.....this will freeze well.

SAUSAGE LENTIL SOUP

The Stuff:

~2 medium onions, chopped (I buy a small frozen bag of chopped onions at the Piggly~Wiggly, and put the whole thing in.  I am not a chopper.  HATE IT!  So this is one short cut I allow myself and it does not cost much more than a bag of onions.)
~2 celery ribs, chopped
~1/2 lb. reduced -fat smoked sausage, halved and thinly sliced  (I usually add a little more......okay,  A LOT MORE.  I am a carnivore.)
~2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced  (Again, I buy a small  bag of frozen carrots and use the whole bag.  You could also use a handful or two of baby carrots.)
~4 garlic cloves, minced  (I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge and use that)
~4 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) of reduced-sodium chicken broth (Swanson's has some in the box, Aldi's sells it too.  I prefer the organic kind.....I am OCD that way.)
~2/3 cup of water
~2 cups of lentils, rinsed (Usually the whole standard size bag.)
~1 teaspoon dried oregano
~1/2 teaspoon cumin
~1/2 teaspoon of pepper
~2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) stewed tomatoes, cut up (I try to find the lowest sodium kind.)
~2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
~2 cups of chopped fresh spinach (I buy a bag of baby spinach and don't chop it.....remember I hate chopping.....and I use two big ole handfuls of it.)


Whippin' It Up!

~Saute the onion and celery till you are happy.....
~Add the sausage, carrot and garlic until you are giggling.....
~Stir in the broth, water, lentils, and dry spices until you are starting to do a jig.....bring to a boil.
~Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30-ish minutes.....NOW PUT THE GUN DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE POT.....PUT YOUR HANDS UP!!!
~Sidetracked again.....add the tomatoes, Worcestershire and spinach.....cook till heated through.

The first time you make this.....you may want to do it alone.  You will want to be a little piggy and dig in right away.....and eat it from the pot.  Double dipping and all.  I did.  I would.  I still do.  Enjoy!  And.....may God bless our little tire tubes.  Or medium~large ones.....depending on the day.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, friend. My hubby makes a very similar recipe. I think the 'bits' and I will try this tonight. Thanks to you- and Suzanne:) Happy Weekend!
    B Kibble

    ReplyDelete