Monday, June 11, 2012

Biker Babe on ~ The Stars and the Swans - Part I

Well.....I guess it's time to tell you this story.....thought it would be appropriate to share, as we approach our 15th wedding anniversary.  Fair warning!  This is a romantic tale, not meant for the cynic, or faint of heart.  So, if you have been grossed out thus far, about my infatuation with Biker Man's six pack and my swoonin' heart for him.....might as well go read another blog.

This will be in a couple parts.....so hang with me.....I know, I know.....I haven't finished my first series of "What Not to Say.....," I'll get to it. 

Biker Man and I, met in 1994 in college......yep, 18 years ago.  I was a fitness instructor (I know.....you woulda' NEVER guessed that) in the university gym.....and he was just a guy that came, and worked out there.  When I first saw him,  he was looking down over the 2nd floor railing at me.....smiling.  Of course my heart skipped a beat.....okay......I almost went into cardiac arrest.  I smiled back, and tried to pretend I was ignoring his visual glances.

A few days passed......and when arriving for work one day, I saw him working out with girl that I knew.  She lived in my hall, and was in a couple of my classes.  She was the All-American bubbly type.....4.0 GPA.....homecoming queen.....marathon runner.....the university's scholar-athlete of the year......nice-to-everyone-good-girl.  "Great!"  I thought.....he has a girlfriend.....and my recent hopes, of being asked on a date.....were shot down the toilet.  At least he was with someone decent.....I couldn't not like her, and it only reinforced his character to me.....that he would be dating someone of such high quality.

As I did my rounds of the facility.....checking equipment, and making sure that the anorexics were not exceeding their time limits on any of the machines.....I passed by "girl-that-I-knew" and Biker Man.  She piped up quickly with a howdy.....and said,
"Have you met Biker Man?"
I looked over at him, and then her with a reserved smile.....and said....."Not formally, no."
He smiled at me in a way, that pierced through my eyeballs, and shot down to my toes.....which were tingling.  She continued her introductions.....
"This is my brother....."

I didn't hear the rest of whatever.....and all I could think of was the 1976 song "Dream Weaver".....and that scene from the movie "Wayne's World".....(which by the way.....I just looked up on YouTube, to add a link for your entertainment.....and the scene started where they're talking in some Star Wars dialect.....do you remember that?  I didn't either....turns out I accidentally clicked on the German version of the movie......sorry, no link today).....anyway.....

Classy.....I know.

So I am sure.....within seconds.....I went from reserved, to the batting of the eyes, and flipping of the hair routine.  I am also sure.....that I double checked, and triple checked, that I did in fact hear her correctly....."THIS-IS-MY-BROTHER!"  I am again also very sure, that I quadrupled checked that she didn't mean fraternity brother.....you know, like she was in a sister sorority.....which still meant that they could be dating.  My paranoia was relieved, when I heard Biker Man's "Sissy" say....."You know Mom....." something, something, something......

I could breathe.....it was true.  They weren't dating.

I guess I escaped from making a complete fool of myself.  A couple of days later, when Biker Man was back in, and I was doing my rounds.....I conveniently passed by him, and he stopped me in my tracks with that smile again, and a question:
"Have you ever worked for Disney?"
Blushing....I replied "No.  Why?"
"You're so cheerful.  I thought you might have gone through their customer service training."

Of course I giggled, and got all girl-goofy.....I was 22 years old, and was acting like a middle schooler.....geezzz.  I look back now, and think he was smooth for sure.....but what a cheesy pick-up-line!  I can't throw him under the bus for that though.....cause it worked on me.  We chatted for a moment, and then he asked if I had plans for Friday night.

I couldn't think for the life of me, what plans I had Friday night.....but whatever was on my calendar wasn't going to happen.  Then in a second of clarity.....I remembered that I had to work.
"What time do you get off?" He asked hopeful.
"11:00pm." I answered, with a slight disappointment.

It was a Tuesday or Wednesday, if I recall correctly.  I was in the process of ending a long distance relationship that I was in.....so it was probably good that there wouldn't be a literal overlap.....of relationships.  As Biker Man finished his workout, and was walking out the door, he looked back and called out....."See ya later."  I was so bummed.....there would be no Friday night date.  But I knew I had to break it off with Mr. Secret Service.....and fast.

Friday came.....I went to class, and then dragged myself to work.  Having to work on a Friday night, as a college student, was brutal.  Though at 11:00pm.....the night is still young on campus.  But, I wasn't much of a party girl.....I had friends, but I didn't hang out to ungodly hours of the night, nor at the bars.  Work dragged on.....not many in to workout.....everyone is getting ready to go out......but 11:00 eventually came and I started closing down the place.  As I was walking out the door, I noticed someone coming towards me.....without looking closely, I was getting ready to announce that the building was closed.  The person got closer, and I noticed.....

it was Biker Man.....and he was coming straight at me.  He was wearing a black leather jacket.....and holding his motorcycle helmet.

Oh laude!  My knees were gonna buckle.....I had a body building-biker-bad boy on my hands.

At that moment.....I knew my life was about to change.....forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment