Friday, July 12, 2013

Cleaning Day at Meemaw's

I think I am going to change the name of my blog to:

Worst Blogger Ever....not that you have noticed.

Scout told me just today..."Your a terrible blogger.  You haven't written on your blog for a long time.  People want to know what is going on."

I doubt it...but I took it as constructive criticism...but he wants to be famous.

Just like you...who is probably the Best Blogger Ever...life is happening ALL.THE.TIME.  Sometimes I can barely come up for air...

Can I get a witness....???

Soooo....in an effort towards Scout's desire for celebrity appeal...I am gonna work on, workin' my blog.

Maybe floral huts or boot barns will want to advertise?

Anyway...today I took this picture....(which Scout didn't want me to put on Facebook...so I *ahem* didn't)....


 ...and so many thoughts of cleaning day at R2D2's (a.k.a. Meemaw) came flooding in.

For the last four years, we have spent most every Friday at Meemaw's house...cleaning, helping with odds and ends, running errands...and being together.  Our Friday's have been such a blessing for all of us.

Upon arrival many days she has second breakfast waiting...or in the process...as it is sometimes around eleven-dy when we get there.  Once dishes are done, the work begins.

Today Scout's list included cleaning out Meemaw's car...Windex-ing windows, and vacuuming the inside.  She paid him ice cream, and a few dollars for the trading post at camp...happening next week.

(This kinda sounds like an excerpt out of "Little House in a Rural Neighborhood."   I think Laura Ingalls Wilder would have been proud of me.)

Friday's at Meemaw's will end soon for our little Scout, when he goes to public school in the fall.  Friday's will become a little bittersweet...

...this is only a few reasons why...


 Meemaw is the coolest Meemaw.  She has an iPhone 5, and bought Scout an iPod at Christmas.  They are learning how to use their devices together on Friday's.


 The guys like hanging out at Meemaw's on Friday's too.  She's got good digs...and snacks.


Trees.  Meemaw has trees.  This is of critical importance in the fall.  We have baby evergreens...because our property is on a former cornfield..so Scout is deprived at our house of this basic necessity.  Friday's in the fall fill a NEED in a nine year old boy.

That smile you see...Scout is looking at Meemaw.  For real and for serious.  Every time we leave her house on Friday's...even when it is ten below zero...Scout rolls down the windows in the car...and yells out..."I LOVE YOU MEEMAW!!!"  And....keeps yelling it repeatedly until we get to the corner.  This is the only time I let him yell.  Because I am anal that way.


Quality time together on Friday's is priceless.  There is always drawing, reading (she is reading Tom Sawyer right now...), puzzles, cooking and baking, journaling, surfing the Mac (the computer...not Mac-Daddy) for spy gear, throwing ball...(she's got a good arm)...trips to McDonald's...and a gazillion other things that I can't think of right now.

So just like when I was a little girl...Meemaw is not only instilling a work ethic in Scout...she is building a relationship with him that is forever.

So maybe I shouldn't have titled this "Cleaning Day at Meemaw's."  Maybe it should have been named "Second Breakfasts at Meemaws."  Kinda like the "Breakfast at Tiffany's" vibe....

...or not....but I can guarantee....Meemaw is much more classier and beautiful, than Audrey Hepburn.

Just ask Mac-Daddy...(a.k.a. Peeps).



No comments:

Post a Comment